Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Sidewalk Border (garden)

I'm so busy, I've decided to be more busy.

I have been going back and forth about having a vegetable garden, but have wanted some flowers on either side of our sidewalk for as long as we've lived in our house. So, 5 years later, its time.

I've only picked out 2 flowers, Lily of the Valley for right at the steps and Freesia for the actual border. Here is some info I've learned and will be using when I start my planing in a couple weeks-ish.

Freesia

Things I may need:
Steaks to support the flower heads
compost
fertalizer
mist/spritz bottle

Things I will definitely need:
full sun
well drainage

Planting:
1. 2" deep
2. 3" apart
3. Put 1 trowels worth of compost in the hole
4. Plant pointed end up
5. After planting water well (thoroughly soaking area)
6. Keep soil slightly moist
7. Keep plant moist to prevent/avoid red spider mites
8. Remove yellow/dead foliage after blooming has ended(late-summer-ish)

*These are supposed to be planted in the fall, oops, I guess we'll see how they do when planted in the spring.
*The bulbs can rot.


Lily of the Valley


Things I may need:
compost
peat moss

Things I definitely need:
shade/full shade

Planting:
1. 8"-12" apart
2. Soak the "pips" in lukewarm water before planting. (Just fill the bag so the peat is saturated and leave it in the sink for a couple hours)
3. Snip the last inch off the roots before planting.
4. Plant so the tops barely poke above the surface of the soil.
5. Water generously, soaking the soil.

*Can become invasive if not controlled, needs propagation.
*The leaves and flowers are toxic to children if consumed. So, don't let them eat it!


This is my unbelievably boring sidewalk that I've dealt with for long enough.

Now, after I plan the flowers I'm still going to need some sort of attractive border to separate the flowers/grass. Once I find something I like, I will probably blog about it.

2 comments:

  1. I think stakes are more likely to help the flowers (rather than steaks...) ;)

    Good luck with your garden! I've been planting some of my daffodil bulbs this week, even though they're supposed to be planted in the fall.

    ReplyDelete